I think your images covey the message you intended. The images evoke a sense of bliss and happiness. It is difficult to make black and white photos look happy because the black is usually very overpowering, but I think that you did a nice job. My one critique would be to think about the composition and framing of the peace signs photo. The framing feels intentional, but is still an awkward image because the crotch of your subject is what the eye is drawn to more so than the peace signs.
I really love the topic/song you chose!! Your photoset came out very cute :) I think a lot of the times people tend to lean towards sad/moodier tones for black and white photography, so your use of a brighter and more joyous tone here makes your photos much more unique and interesting. Overall I think you did a great job compositionally- all your photos have a clearly defined subject which is emphasized through your cropping/composition. Your tonal range is really great too- all the photos look very clear with a good balance of lights and darks.
The only problem I can see with your photos is that, when looking at them together as a whole, I'm not really seeing a narrative. Individually, it's easy to look at each photo and put together a story for it, but overall they don't look really connected with anything besides the same model. I do realize that it's kinda hard to put together a complex story from "Don't Worry Be Happy" though, so this is a pretty minor criticism.
Samantha-- you did a great job editing a framing your subjects. I think Peyton made a good point with the peace sign photo that the eye does go to the crotch as opposed to the peace signs, which could be avoided if the hands we're brought closer to the camera, so that they appear bigger in the frame.
I think you are a strong photographer and have a natural eye for composition. Keep pushing yourself to think of the way you can connect each image to each other in a sequence to make a stronger narrative. Great job!
I think your images covey the message you intended. The images evoke a sense of bliss and happiness. It is difficult to make black and white photos look happy because the black is usually very overpowering, but I think that you did a nice job. My one critique would be to think about the composition and framing of the peace signs photo. The framing feels intentional, but is still an awkward image because the crotch of your subject is what the eye is drawn to more so than the peace signs.
ReplyDeleteHi Samantha,
ReplyDeleteI really love the topic/song you chose!! Your photoset came out very cute :) I think a lot of the times people tend to lean towards sad/moodier tones for black and white photography, so your use of a brighter and more joyous tone here makes your photos much more unique and interesting. Overall I think you did a great job compositionally- all your photos have a clearly defined subject which is emphasized through your cropping/composition. Your tonal range is really great too- all the photos look very clear with a good balance of lights and darks.
The only problem I can see with your photos is that, when looking at them together as a whole, I'm not really seeing a narrative. Individually, it's easy to look at each photo and put together a story for it, but overall they don't look really connected with anything besides the same model. I do realize that it's kinda hard to put together a complex story from "Don't Worry Be Happy" though, so this is a pretty minor criticism.
Samantha--
ReplyDeleteyou did a great job editing a framing your subjects. I think Peyton made a good point with the peace sign photo that the eye does go to the crotch as opposed to the peace signs, which could be avoided if the hands we're brought closer to the camera, so that they appear bigger in the frame.
I think you are a strong photographer and have a natural eye for composition. Keep pushing yourself to think of the way you can connect each image to each other in a sequence to make a stronger narrative. Great job!